Depression a very common mental illness and it effects nearly 10% of the population each year.
The signs of depression
- Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, emptiness or hopelessness.
- Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all normal activities, such as sex, hobbies or sports.
- Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or sleeping too much.
Bipolar disorder can have all of the symptoms of depression but also has some degree of mania.
At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you’re living with this illness and functioning at all, it’s something to be proud of, not ashamed of.
Symptoms of mania in bipolar disorder
- Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired.
- Increased activity, energy or agitation.
- Exaggerated sense of well-being and self-confidence (euphoria)
- Decreased need for sleep.
- Unusual talkativeness.
- Racing thoughts.